Saturday, April 7, 2007

My Journey Southwest

For anyone who doesn't already know I have had a slight change of scenery recently. A week ago I arrived in New Mexico to start an internship on the Seeds of Change Research Farm in San Juan Pueblo NM. I'll be here for about six months (if I don't decide to stay longer), and will be working and living on an organic farm in the mountains of northern New Mexico. Seeds of Change is an organic seed company and the farm I am working at is where they research and test old and new varieties of vegetables, herbs, and flowers. My job involves lots of manual labor sprinkled with plenty of new learning experiences and wonderful vegetarian cuisine.

I took the long way out here and made a stop in Big Bend Nationap Park, Texas. I've wanted to go there for a long time and finally had the oppurtunity to make the long, long drive down to the southern tip of Texas, where there is a Big Bend in the Rio Grande. I enjoyed a couple days of exploring the park. Here are a few pics from my stay:


I will post some pictures of the farm and San Juan Pueblo soon. I hope all my family and friends back east and all over are doing well and I hope to see you soon (when you come visit me, that is).
P.S.
It is cold and snowy here too. At least today it is. The rest of the week was sunny and beautiful all day long.















9 comments:

Ellen said...

Hi Evan:
Great to hear that you're safely at your new pursuit and that the journey was obviously FABULOUS. I am now continually associating Evan with fantastic mountain top vistas and spectacular rock photography. (the pics are wonderful)
Hope you're enjoying yourself...and that you'll add to your blog soon. It's fun to see what you're doing.
Stay well.
Love,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Evan,
What is your mailing address? I wrote you a letter, but then realized that I don't have your address...
- Maeve

Sally Anne said...

Evan!! Nice blog, look foward to seeing more pictures. You should give us your address, and we'll send you cookies and stuff. Hope you are doing well. Remember, if you shave your beard take pictures, and consider creative facial hair alternatives.
~Sally

charsnowman@verizon.net said...

Hey Evan,
How I envy your trip out throught the southwest. Your Gram and I went through much of that area and enjoyed so much the difference in scenery. We stayed overnight in Albuquerque where we forgot to set our watches to the local time for woke up in the pitch dark. Great times leave great memories. Enjoy all yours! Grandpa Snow

charsnowman@verizon.net said...

Hey Evan,
So pleased to have your blog set-up. I envy your trip out throught the southwest. Your Gram and I went through that area and enjoyed the difference in scenery. Some places with butts of glorious colors. Lots of great memories to store for the later years such as I am doing now.
Grandpa Snow

charsnowman@verizon.net said...

Hey Evan,
How I envy your going through that marvelous scenery of the southwest.
Your Gram and I spent overnight in Albuquerque but forgot to change out watches to the local time so set out in the morning in pitch black skies. Enjoy all those great views of butts with their colors defying description.
Granpa Snow

charsnowman@verizon.net said...

Hey Evan,
How I envy you that trip out through the southwest. All that great, and decidedly different, scenery. Your Gram and I stayed overnight in Albuquerque where we forgot to change our watches to the local time so set out in the morning to pitch black skies. Enjoy your experiences and save the memories as I have. Grandpa Snow

charsnowman@verizon.net said...

Hey Evan,
Ellen just arrived to have supper with me and do some housecleaning. She showed me that I had sent multiple emails to you.
Please excuse

charsnowman@verizon.net said...

Hey Evan,
Ellen just arrived to have supper with me and do some housecleaning. She showed me that I had sent multiple emails to you.
Please excuse